That plastic insert is something that they started doing on the higher end
11spd groups and now it looks like it has trickled down to Claris.  Its
function is related to the indexing on those higher end road groups.  They
actually made the downshift onto the small rings two step: one click shifts
the chain but keeps the cage close to/touching the chain to prevent the
chain derailing during the shift, and a second click trims the derailleur
cage away from the chain once it's settled into gear.  The plastic is there
so to keep things quiet during that process.  It's so quiet that I'm sure
most guys don't actually realize they need to click twice for the full
shift.