I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR to integrate HRM, speed/time/distance/climb
and route tracking.  Sometimes I wear it on my wrist, sometimes strap it to
the handlebar and use a 'bra strap' HR belt.  My wife likes that the Live
Track feature of the Garmin software (running on my phone) can show my
location to her during the ride.  She worries about that kind of thing,
having had to pick me up once on a ride when I was having what turned out
to be a heart attack.  I use the HRM to make sure I don't over-stress my
ticker on those days when I feel strong.

Bill
Stockton, CA