Patrick is pretty close on this one.  I can't tell a difference between a
23" low gear and 25" low gear on different bikes.  I can tell a difference
in 4-5" steps in that range.
Also pointing out again, it's a 400' climb at the end of my ride to get
home, and the grade his 14% in 4 spots.

Within the cruising range, 70-85", I'm pretty happy in any gear in that
range riding alone at any cadence, though having 5-7" steps in that range
is important when keeping up with a group.

As far as the 1.3" goes, that's just about the difference going from a 32mm
to 38mm tire.