I use the plastic patch kit box as the 'anvil', and the rounded end of a
tire lever to apply the pressure to make sure the patch seals well to the
tube.

Also, I leave the clear plastic on the patch if I'm reinstalling
immediately.  That makes sure I don't pull the patch free.  If using the
patched tube as a spare, I'll remove the plastic after the patch has had a
suitably long time to cure.  Bending the patched area a bit will often open
up a split in the plastic, so it can be peeled off center-to-edge.

Bill
Stockton, CA