On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Ben Miller <ben.l.mil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... end of the day Grant decides what Riv is. (This is said slightly
> tongue-in-cheek, but only slightly)

That's true; what is left for debate is, if this is all that Riv is, is it
worth following?

I've followed Rivendell since 1994, when I belatedly signed up for the Bob
group and got the mailing about the new post Bridgestone Bicycles USA
startup. I ordered a custom in late '94, and I've loved Rivendell bikes
ever since.

But I love them, and many others love them, because they ride so well, and
that everything else was largely* subordinated to this ride quality. After
all, what else takes precedent over ride quality?

" ... It's a choice, an aesthetic. "

If Rivendell was only, or principally, an aesthetic, I'd gag and run as
fast as I could toward the horizon. If Riv was only, or principally an
aesthetic, then f*ck them, I personally have no use for stylemongers.

But, thank God, Rivendell is far, far, *far* more than an aesthetic.

Aesthetic posers be damned, I say.

Patrick Moore, who feels very strongly about this, and who would, were
Rivendell only an aesthetic, feel betrayed.

* I'll allow Riv a wee bit of slack for gratuitous aesthetic touches,
though I take points away for tweed mudflaps.