Genuine concern and not just playing devil’s advocate... but is it possible for
many caliper/canti designed forks to lack strength or lower blade reinforcement
for the lever arm of drums (similar to the way discs could overpower and
crumple some forks if not made with discs in mind) ?  Clearly not an issue with
the Guv’nor that’s designed around them but maybe so for other bikes/forks?

I had questioned a similar conversion on my single speed although took a
different path to get there:
It started with the discovery of toe overlap on the 700c single speed combined
with a new (to me) old Raleigh frame that was intended to just be bigger frame
to move the whole build over from a much too small 21” Raleigh sports 3 speed
with 26 x 1-3/8 wheels.  The measurements were a little suspect from the ad but
pics confirmed a very large Raleigh 3 speed frame with locking fork as on the
Superbes... but it was labeled “Deluxe” and listed as 25” frame. Turns out the
bigger frame is actually 25” center to center seat tube and with a much longer
fork than the Raleigh Sports and takes a 700cx35 easily with tektro 559 xlong
reach brakes.  It’s close in stand over to my Schwinn 27” framed bike with
700cx33.  So I have these practically new cream delta cruisers in 26x1-3/8 size
that were supposed to be for the bigger 3 speed project but I now have other
plans for that with the Raleigh Deluxe frame also already having dropouts that
take modern 9mm front and 10mm rear axles rather than those of my original
Sturmey Archer aw rear and dynamo front of the sports.

So back to the 700c singlespeed... tire clearance is max at 700x32 rear with
539 tektro brakes 47-57mm reach.  A little more wiggle room up front but not
much and no fender clearance.  Harris Cyclery offers a 26x1-3/8 fixed/fixed
budget wheel with sun cr18 rim and sealed hubs with  120 spacing for conversion
of old 3 speed frames but this would be an immediate fit on my single speed.
But the matching front has an axle to match the thinner axle of the old Raleigh
hubs/forks and wouldn’t fit my modern 100mmx9mm fork.  So I instead consider a
custom front with new SA drum brake hub with cr18 rim to match the harris stock
fixed rear wheel.  This eliminates calipers altogether and with the frame
having no cable stops for rear brake cabling anyway if running fixed only and
drum front it would be a suitable all weather rig now with room for fenders
with the smaller 650a/590bsd/26x1-3/8 wheel vs the 700c/622bsd.  I never
followed through due to budget constraints and poor timing for any new projects
and then began to question whether the fork is built to withstand the localized
forces of a drum brake anyway?  This is the stock fork on a Milwaukee Orange
One.  The frame is tig’d by Waterford but the fork is imported from Taiwan and
otherwise appears to be the same spec as a Surly Pacer fork but not sure if
they are really the same.

Anyway... Love some of these ideas but haven’t brought myself to try them yet
and in the interim just riding what I’ve got.

Cheers,
Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ