>From my experience, studs are an asset. In my region, there is a freeze thaw
>cycle at times that leave invisible ice at low points, run-off points. This is
>when studs are unbelievably useful. I've been surprised a few times when I've
>stopped for some reason and put my foot down to discover my boot slips out
>immediately. I can ride across ice that affords no traction underfoot, but the
>studs and agressive tread of the tires find good purchase. Cornering when
>surprised by ice can be very tricky, although the tires do help massively
>there too and I've been saved a few times.

It all depends on local conditions and riding style of course. My tires are
slow as molasses, like I'm towing a trailer full of groceries some days, but
for the sake of an extra 5 - 7mins on a 6 mile ride to work, it's well worth it
for the control the tires offer.

I'm using 26" x 2.1" Schwalbe Marathon winter tires, with agressive lugs and a
lot of studs. After five winters they are starting to lose a few studs, but
they work perfectly still. Lighter winter studded tires are available, which
could be a good compromise.

IanA/The North