I have a Campmore cape, thin nylon cape. I actually like it better than the
Carradice cotton or nylon ones I owned, which were respectively too hot and
cut too tight; but the stupid leg loops are very inconvenient compared to
the Carradice waist ties. I cut the loops off and attached 2 short stacks
of washers to the rear; this has worked so far.

It should be easy to attach similar weights to a cheap hiker's poncho.

Once nice thing about weighting the rear is that the cape then covers your
saddle and, if you are using one, your saddlebag.

I've ridden in strong wind with the Campmore, and it works surprisingly
well. You'd probably not want to ride 100 miles with the wind pushing you
around, but it keeps you dry from neck to knee*, even in a surprisingly
strong wind. The worst feature is that the cape forms a little valley
between your arms, where water collects, which you have to drain every half
mile or so. I recall the Ducksback or whatever the waxed cotton Carradice
was called: the pool had iridescent oil streaks from the oils of the
waterproofing wax, and I would be so fascinated by them that I spent far
too much time staring at the puddle instead of at the road.

* I strongly dislike hoods when cycling, so I ignore mine (I got a
Sou'wester type hat).

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Erl, if you have one laying around you might try just going with a
> regular poncho to see what you think.  I rode in an old army poncho once
> last year and it was ok, I tucked the excess in and sat on it...  I'm sure
> a cycling one would be a better solution though.
>
> I missed riding the past two days but got absolutely slammed with rain
> Tuesday evening.  My M65 field jacket did ok, right arm leaked at the elbow
> but that was about it. It was windy to, I wonder about ponchos in the wind
> even when they are bike-optimized.
>
> Let us know if you try one out!
>
> Tony

Other professional writing services.