I use a Vaude rain poncho that I got pretty cheap on amazon on the cold and
rainy days.  It works great!

A few notes on my set-up:
-I added a rear eyelet on the bottom edge of the rear.  The eyelet is
reinforced with some fabric repair tape tape.   I put some elastic cord
with a small carabiner through the eyelet, and the carabiner clips to my
saddle rail.   My cape is on the small side, and this keeps it from riding
up my back.
-It has elastic wrist straps on the front, and I attach these direct to my
bar with velcro straps or simply hook them to my brake hoods if I have drop
bars.  This keeps the cape draped over my bars and hands, and let's me
change hand positions freely under the cape.
-I don't use the hood.  I just tuck inside the poncho