On 11/25/2017 05:34 PM, Ben Miller wrote:
As I said, it's an intensely personal choice.

Thanks, yes, I have looked at them. I don't consider the treads to be any different,

Then you need to have your vision checked, because at this point I wonder that you are even able to see the first line on the eye chart.  The difference is obvious.

because I consider all slick treads to be the same. Bikes can not hydroplane under anything close to normal circumstances, so what possible difference could there be between those treads? Those differences in treads are cosmetic, nothing more. (Don't believe me? Read what Sheldon Brown <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html> has to say about tread.)

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you are completely missing the point.  Regardless of the functioning of tread, you simply cannot say the tires are "identical" if the differences in the tread are obvious to the naked eye.    Now if you want to say something like "all bike tires are functionally equivalent," then for some values of "equivalent" that might be a true statement, and we could get into a detailed discussion of the function of tread on bicycle tires.  But that's not what you said.

Don't play silly games.  If your point is that as far as you are concerned all bicycle tires are the same then just say so, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Even if somehow you still think that there is a difference between radial and herringbone tread, along the center, where the tyre actually contacts, both Grand Bois and Compass have radial tread (SOMA's have a mix of radial and a "true" slick pattern).

And true, no one other than Panaracer really knows what, if any, difference exists in those three tyres. But, if you're Panaracer and some asks for a tyre of a given size, weight, performance, and price point, how many different knobs do you think you have left to turn? It's not like Panaracer in Japan has an infinite number of casing material and rubber compounds to chose from, so those criteria almost certainly lock you into a rubber & casing design and everything else is cosmetic. Do you really think there is more to this decision making process? If so, what?

If you go back to Jan's blog and do a little searching you will find some posts describing the design process for Compass tires.  It's entirely clear from his writing that that decision process didn't even slightly resemble your summary.