Deacon P,

Sounds like you chose a cog on your cassette that was outboard of the
position of your chainring in front, so the chainline itself was acting
like a derailer trying to shift you into a bigger (inner) rear cog, which
the chain was too short to accommodate and which your legs were plenty
strong enough to annihilate. No doubt the ramps on the whatever-glide
cassette were complicit in lifting the chain up to the bigger cog.

I've done the same conversion - under duress, in the field. I was riding my
old mountain bike on a trail in the forest near my parents' house, climbing
a reasonably steep hill, when my chain got wedged in front. I suppose I was
shifting to my granny and thought it had gone cleanly to the small ring,
but the one thing I remember for sure was that I proceeded to pedal full
force, felt a moment of binding and then BANG! I was sure I had broken the
chain, but the chain and I were in fact strong enough to shear the rear
derailer in two pieces right through the thickest part of the body! I guess
the chain got jammed on the slack side in front and couldn't feed any more
chain to the derailer, which continued to get pulled by the tensioned side
of the chain. This bike did not have a U-brake (which had been responsible
for most of  my previous occurrences of chain suck) but it is entirely
likely that the chain and rings were worn out, underlubricated, and/or
grimy from previous overlubrication.

Not wanting to push a disabled bike up a long hill home, I broke the chain
and removed the rear derailer (which still had the chain fed through the
pulleys), placed the chain on the middle ring in front, and stretched the
chain to the middle of the cassette, hoping to find a magic gear in the
middle that would fit an integer number of chain links with a reasonable
all-around gearing. I found one that worked, used my link tool to shorten
the chain, and put it back together (I think with a master link) as a
singlespeed, which I proceeded to ride up the hill home. I was not yet much
of a bike mechanic so I was quite proud of myself at the time.

The chain held its position on the rear cassette for the short ride home,
but I wonder if I had continued to ride it if it would eventually have
wandered to an adjacent cog, and if so, in the slacker (i.e.
non-destructive) direction, or in the direction you seem to have
experienced.

I enjoy your ride stories and sardonic grins.

Daniel M
Berkeley, CA