Justin, Fixed lifestyle? Ha. I’ve no idea what that means. Naught ‘bout me
lifestyle is changing because me dropouts are rotating 90ish˚. Double grin. The
shift is entirely selfish, given the benifits to my brain and body. I jest, but
I think I know what you mean, taking “lifestyle” to be “riding style.” And
there is a definate difference in style of riding, though in my experience so
far no particularly significant (to anyone but a racer) difference in time for
each ride. I suspect I am faster climbing (smoother ride increases traction and
less having to compensate for deceleration of a freewheel. I also suspect the
speed difference is small, but of course on a 10 mile climb/descent, 2/3 to 3/4
of riding time will be on the climb. I know I ride slower down hill, but again
that has minimal impact on average speed, because dropping from a 30mph average
to a 25mph average is negligable to anyone but a racer, especially given the
gains climbing.

Numbers from the Tour de France bear this out. I read somewhere on the
interwebs (so you know it’s true) that the first year the Tour de France
allowed freewheels (singlespeed) in addition to fixed the average speed jumped
a whopping 0.3 or 0.4 mph (or close to that) over the entire 1,500 whatever
miles of the race. For me, nothing important is lost by losing the freewheel
and a lot is gained.

I’ve actually considered this jump (to either all ss or fixed) for a number of
years, but never pulled the trigger because just shifting less on the
Hunqapillar made it a singlespeed that could shift on the fly. Not the same,
but close. I didn’t try fixed because I had to try it on a bike I know (even
handlebars can mess with my brain and I need days to recover, so a whole new
bike that was fixed? No what to know what was due to what.). So when I did try
fixed on the Quickbeam, I was ready to jump all in if it worked. It did, and
here I am. Grin.

Philip, Ha! Aye. Well, I wondered as I confidently rode over miles of slick
snow on today’s ride if these were conditions that I would have ben far more
trepedatious in with a freewhell. I make it through 99% of the technical stuff
that I did on the SS plus I can climb 2% more of the stuff I couldn’t SS, so I
come out ahead in a way noone cares about. Grin.

Bill, I appreciate the vote of confidence. Grin.  I’d add to that list
clearence for widish tires of 2.1”. As someone mentioned, I’m getting the
equivilant of my ideal custom frame for bikepacking and hauling.

With abandon,
Patrick