I gotta protest this rim brakes don't work in the rain thing. It sure sucks
if the rims are steel, but with alloy, you just need to give a quick
pre-squeeze or two to clear the water off. Perhaps in a true emergency
situation you will lose a critical second or two, but I find when riding in
the rain, unless it's a race (how in the world do those guys manage bikes
that can't stop?!) I exercise a bit more caution than usual, for a variety
of reasons, not just slightly reduced braking time.

The Weinmann and Dia Compe center pulls are probably my favorite brakes. I
don't find them mushy when set up properly (pretty easy) and with good
modern pads and cables. I had the Tektros for a while, they were okay.