Paul centerpulls have no mush, outside of the cables/housing.   Paul CP
arms are much stiffer than Dia-Compe/Weinmanns.  In my opinion, the
flexiness of the R559 brake arms was somewhere between the Paul and DC
centerpulls.

However, any rim brake can feel mushy if you have excessive toe-in, because
the front ends of the pads hit first.

Paul CPs have the same problems of any rim brake when wet, especially
compounded with oil and filth from the road.

Personally, I have an un-Rivendellian preference for discs.  I guess I'm
more dwarf (disc; they loved machines) than elf (Rivendell).  My stable is
two rim brake, three disc.  All fun.