About five years ago I occasionally walked past an orange Sam Hillborne
that had been locked up in one place, outdoors, for so long that the
components were all rusted and the spokes were a tangle of spider webs. I
stopped by my local police station and asked an officer if the owner could
be notified. Or, failing that, was there a specific point at which a locked
bike could be considered abandoned? The officer said no. And he added that
no matter how long that bike might sit, "it's someone else's property."
Fair enough. I stopped wondering about the bike. Then a few months later, I
walked past Sam's parking place and the bike was gone. I never knew if a
thief took it or the owner came back to claim it.

Evan Elliot
San Francisco