With a smaller wheel (650b), wide rim, and big tires you will be fine with
40 hole rear. I agree a good wheel builder is critical.

We (stoker and I) have put thousands of loaded touring miles on our 40 hole
650b Hetre shod Bilenky touring tandem, and are happy as clams with the 36
hole setup on our HHH. For reference -- I'm 6'7", 240 lbs.; stoker is 5'3",
110 lbs.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL