Hi Patrick,
I wear 30 in most pants, and 30 Compass knickers fit as expected.

I'm not sure I understand the real waist vs hips question.

As for heartiness: I've been disappointed with the knickers. They started
to pill along the upper thighs after only a few rides. I wear wool upper
layers, perhaps a Riv-MUSA long-sleeve shirt, and I wouldn't expect pilling
so early.

YMMV,
Good luck!
shoji