Patrick, for me the benefit of the Neti pot is that it clears out my nasal
passage so excess "stuff" isn't slowly draining. It also seems to head off
stuffy ears. Generally, it makes me feel better. You'll want to use distilled
or boiled water and a saline solution or it will sting a bit and could
introduce pathogens.

I had a cold a few weeks back and noticed that if I drank a cold glass of water
or Gatorade, my throats would hurt almost immediately, and/or I would cough
right away. I googled it, and What I read was, cold irritates the mucus lining
of the throat, makes it shrink, and makes the throat more vulnerable to
irritants and pathogens.

I too avoid antihistamines. Perhaps sipping warm water or honey tea while
riding, or sucking a lozenge, might help counteract the effect of cold air?

-Pete

(I've ocassionally posted my first name before. When I joined the list I didn't
realize it was the norm.)