After riding a bulging 40-spoke Velocity Dyad rim on my Hunqapillar for too
long it finally cracked. The only way I knew about the bulge is because
once per rotation the wheel rubbed *both* brake pads. The wheel was never
out of true, so I kept riding it ~1000 miles. I decided to rebuild the
wheel only because I hit a sand/salt patch on the road, skidded about ten
feet when the rim hit the brake pads and I nearly went down. Most notable
is that I never flatted, as in not once since this wheel was built in 2011.
I'm curious if I would have known about the issue had I been running disc
brakes. That got me thinking more: I wonder if rim brakes are safer for
this reason. Had I been running discs I likely would have had a
catastrophic rim failure because, other than cosmetic, there would have
been no indication of a problem. Thoughts?

-Patrick

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7YsTmvCvYnY/Wpay8RfsJeI/AAAAAAAAsrY/azDpm_9nqTgfXd0uBXN694VubKvvY9K9wCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_0002.jpg>