A general question to be sure & likely different systems have variability,
but does anyone have an idea what wheelbase range may be accommodated by
bus racks?  It would seem that the wide variety of bikes used by commuters
would require a fairly generous range.  I understand the hold down bar on
the fender problem, but I'm thinking the wheel trays must be pretty long.

Hanging on a train I can see the problem & have encountered it.  Several
years ago, on a light rail system, I struggled to hang my '03 58 cm
Atlantis from the designated hook.  I had 2 panniers,which I had to take
off, and the front wheel stuck out into the doorway area.  Seemed like the
hook was in a bad spot but a regular train user told me it was a recent add
on.  Amtrak used to also have a hook system but they were high enough for
the bike to hang straight.  Of course, you still had to remove luggage &
drag it upstairs.

dougP