I don't know exactly (and it may vary somewhat with different styles), but the
bus racks in Seattle fit a current Atlantis, but not a 59 Clem. Rightly or
wrongly they are designed for bikes with traditionally "normal" wheelbases, and
by traditional standards, 47-48cm chainstays (which I like) are already on the
long end of the spectrum.

My raising the question is not a value judgement on super long stays, nor is it
questioning their effect on handling.

Eamon