Hi Alan, Deacon is The Man of course. But here is what I did with my Q
gearing: I used 39/45 chainrings with a 17/21 Dingle and a 23T on the flip
side of the hub. That gave me 5 useable gears from 46 to 72 inches. Like
Minh I most often chose a gear and stayed there for the entire ride.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/79695460@N00/2760281945/in/album-72157607471577085/
Since that picture and description my tires have grown to 32 or 35mm width
(& thus my gear inches have increased a bit) and I am using freewheels
instead of fixed. Fixed is pure and all that; freewheels are...well, free.

Joe in GJT