tc asked if a Legolas is easier/cheaper for riv to sell, compared to a
custom.

Yes, the design is totally complete for the Legolas.  When I order one,
they just order a 57, and M. Nobilette already knows exactly what that is.
So a Legolas is quite a bit less expensive than a custom.  With a custom,
you work with Grant to decide what you are going to do on your bike and
then Grant designs a bike for you.  It is not the kind of 'custom' where
you tell Riv exactly the geometry and tubing you want, and they build it.
It's a Grant design for you.

I got to specify several little details, and that's easy.  I wanted
clearance for Steilacooms, not 33mm cross-racing tires.  That's easy.  I'm
running Mini-moto linear-pull brakes so I wanted no rear brake hanger.  I
wanted discrete fender attach points and no rack braze ons on the stays or
fork blades.  I wanted no pump peg.  I chose a head tube decal over a head
badge.  Those were 'customized' options.  The only tiny geometry tweak is
that the top tube has a TINY bit more slope than normal.  2-degrees instead
of 1.5-degrees.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA