I feel like if I actually lived in Walnut Creek, Riv HQ would be my
dedicated bike shop and I would also spend a lot of time hanging out there
too. From a mail-order company perspective, they just can't compete based
on their business model reality.

My old LBS in Toronto (shout-out to Urbane Cyclist!) almost always had the
stuff I needed, and it was on my way home from work. That immediate access
does a lot to keep the customer-shop relationship alive and healthy.

KJ