René, I'm local and work downtown. I'd suggest you ride the length of the
national mall one morning (both sides), and around the Tidal Basin and East
Potomac Park another. An out and back trip to Chain Bridge might make a
good third trip if you have a little more time and bring your bike. Head
down to the Lincoln Memorial and then go past the Kennedy Center and
Watergate complex. You'll then pass through Georgetown Waterfront park and
and beyond that is the C&O Canal towpath. Take that up to Chain Bridge and
take the ramp up to the path along the sidewalk  -- it's a very scenic
setting, just a couple miles from the city.

Pete
Arlington, VA