Compared to a $600 Bike Friday tandem, my suggestion will be in the
stratospheric realm.  For my young son and me, we invested in a Co-Motion
tandem, the Torpedo model where the stoker seat can be raised from 4 foot
something rider up to 6 feet.  We also got S&S couplers so we can fit into
two suitcases for travel. It is super fantastic, and rides really as smooth
as butter - Riv-like if you would.

The thing about a tandem with couplers is that only one wheel needs to fit
in each suitcase, making the loading process a heckuva lot easier than
that the breakdown and assembly are about the same hour as with the Bike
Friday.  Where it is not as good is being able to stuff the tandem into the
trunk of a car, so if you have a sedan, the Bike Friday would work.  But if
like most 'Mericans you have an SUV or a station wagon like me, just detach
the front section and the bike fits nicely.  BTW: it breaks into 3 section.

Price is an issue, of course, with a new bike being in the 5 grand range.
I am told (by the dealer!?) that coupled tandems do hold their value, to
which I can attest only to their rarity.  I just couldn't find another like
this in the used market.

Aside from the fact that my stoker son is 9, and getting him to pedal
steadily is a chore, the bike is a pleasure.  Let's see how many more years
I get from it until he is ready to ride 50 mile days on his own bike.

Steve Seelig