On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 8:05:37 AM UTC-6, Bob Lovejoy wrote:

> Also, in reference to iamkeith's post... It seems I remember two different
> sets of geometry numbers around for the Appaloosa.  I just concentrated on
> the one I thought correct but I did cringe at the potential for confusion.
>
> Bob
> Galesburg, IL

Really?!  I never noticed, but I think you might be correct!  That kind of
changes everything, depending on which one is/was correct.  I'm getting
ready to pay for one of the new MIT Atlanti - the first time they've made
one that fits me.  But now it turns out that there may have been a Joe
Appaloosa that fit me for some time?!  And it would use my existing 700c
wheels?  I'm going to have to ask RBW HQ about this, and figure it out.
 If anybody has an Appaloosa and can take some measurements to help figure
this out, it would be appreciated - especially a 56.

Below is a consolidated geometry table, showing what I THOUGHT I was
seeing, regarding geometry changes.  The "original" appaloosa is from the
page specific to that model.  But, looking back at the all-models geo chart
that was just replaced (I have it archived), I see that there WAS a
discrepancy all along, as Bob says.

If the 'new' numbers are correct, then that means that the 55cm Appaloosa
(59.8 cm / 6* tt)  is bigger than the 56cm MIT Atlantis (59.0 cm / 6* tt),
and both of those are bigger than either the legacy Atlantis (58.5 cm /
2.5* tt) or the 2016 update Atlantis (59.0 cm / 3* tt).  Additionally, the
Appaloosa should feel even bigger than those numbers indicate, because the
steeper head tube angle means that the handlebars wouldn't reach back
toward the rider as much.  The "old" 55cm Appaloosa had a 58.3 cm / 6* tt.

*[By "bigger," I mean longer top tube and, presumably, taller stack
height.]*

I'm kind of thinking that the 'new' / 'all-geo' Appaloosa numbers must be
wrong, but who knows.   It had seemed to me that the new MIT Atlantis sizes
were intentionally chosen to fit BETWEEN the 'old' Appaloosa tt sizes, but
maybe I was wrong. The new catalog and other comments from John and Grant
DO make a big point of saying that the only difference is the wheel size.

Maybe it's a difference between actual and effective top tubes?  But my
recollection is that the 6* models have ALWAYS specified ett.

I'm so confused.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I7emi16vcMo/Wwbkf_KPbyI/AAAAAAAAMDU/I3hhYP2PnlAicEL-KRGlzohAHmEa6we4gCLcBGAs/s1600/AtlantisGeoComparo.jpg>