I'd agree with that speculation: things like the freewheel and long-reach
brake calipers (both serviceable but not remotely impressive) probably
knock $100 off the sticker price, plus another $100 or whatever for
comparable headsets and bottom brackets...zero frame embellishments...and
the numbers start to make sense to me. The 4130 was a (pleasant) surprise,
though.