Here in NYC I use a small U-lock around the frame to the bike rack or post with
a fairly heavy cable running from my front wheel, through my seat rail, down
through the rear wheel, terminating at the U-lock.
Someone could clip the cable, but then they'd be faced with removing the parts
they want from the frame which is still firmly affixed to whatever.
Further tips- make sure whatever you're locking to is actually stable, many
sign posts pull right out like golf flags. And huge huge hugest tip- use the
cable to keep your bike from falling over. I've seen countless beautiful bikes
stomped flat to the ground by enraged thieves or drunken hooligans, or drunken
thieves. "If you can't steal it, at least destroy it" is their mantra.
-Kai
BKNY