I just got off the phone with my sister. She accompanied a married couple who
are dear friends from out east to Duluth, MN where they hit the bike trails and
saw all the sights. Heather knows very little about Rivendell, but is tolerant
of my enthusiasm for all things Grant and Co. When she told me this story we
laughed until our sides hurt and I knew I had to retell it to a sympathetic
audience. Now, here is the DISCLAIMER: Some of you like racy, skinny,
lightweight bikes. Some of you appreciate the roadie life. Some of you are
partial to drop bars and clipless pedals. And that’s lovely, and we are among
friends here, but I’m about to poke fun of all those things. I don’t mean to
offend, but I do so love to laugh, so I hope you will forgive me for being
offensive this one time, and just giggle with me for a bit. If you are feeling
gracious, and you like a little satire in your life, please do read on! If not,
stop HERE...

It was the first morning, and the plan was to hit the bike trails early and see
some historic sights in the city. Heather dressed in a breezy, colorful,
summery outfit, and bounded downstairs to the lobby. Christine and Dan arrived,
looked at Heather, disbelieving and said, “Is that what you’re wearing?!”
Heather looked back at them, eyes roving over their unusual outfits. They were
covered in colorful, skin-tight lycra. They donned shorts that were oddly
padded and somewhat profane, as their crotches were accentuated and bulging.
Their shoes were weird, and made sharp clicks on the tile with every step. “Is
that what YOU’RE wearing?!” Heather gasped.

Ah, but they are good friends, so everyone shrugged and headed out the door.
They made their way to their bikes, where they were about to have their next
mutual shock. Heather has a lovely red Biria, bedecked with racks and a basket
and capped with a nice, wide saddle. Hers are romantic, swept-back handlebars,
and her tires are smartly covered with fenders. She has chosen this bike
because she has commuted downtown for years in several cities and these
attributes of the bike are the ones that make sense to her. She has never read
Grant’s book. She doesn’t care about online forums or bike literature. She
arrived at these conclusions because she knows that they work. Thus, when she
looked over at her friends’ carbon racing machines, she couldn’t help but gawk.
Dan’s bike is a 20 year old carbon machine, and Christine’s carbon bike was
purchased in October. No fenders. No racks (Dan had a giant backpack he was
carrying like a pack mule, and the day was a sweltering one.). Christine and
Dan mounted their bikes and suddenly their feet were glued to their pedals.
What fresh horror was this? My sister kept staring at this couple struggling to
release their feet from these traps at every intersection and stop. Christine
was less skilled at this, and at one of their stops she tipped over, padded
shorts and all. “Why do you use those?” Heather asked incredulously, pointing
to the pedals. “Oh, these REALLY help with efficiency,” explained Dan, as
Christine scraped herself off the pavement.

They reached their first destination. There was a lovely waterfall to
appreciate, so they dismounted and made their way to it. Clickety-clack,
clickety-clack went the Efficiency Shoes on the boardwalk. The rest of the
afternoon was much like that, and 25 miles later, so ended the first day.

The next morning found the couple dithering about what to wear. They were going
out for a nice lunch and to visit a local museum, and the couple was in a
quandary about their clothes. They were biking so they needed “bike clothes.”
But they were also planning to do fun, touristy things, so they needed “normal
clothes.”  They didn’t want to wear the clickety-clacks, but their pedals
called for it.  “I don’t know if I can ride my bike without my padded shorts,”
said Christine. They compromised. They put on normal clothing with their
clickety-clacks. Then they stuffed extra shoes into Dan’s large backpack. They
pedaled off, crotches on fire, Dan sweating under the weight strapped to his
back.

“Why do you have that bike seat if it hurts to ride it?” asked Heather,
genuinely curious.

“Oh, well, I probably save 5 grams using this one!” crowed Dan, “And you may
not think that sounds like much, but a few grams here and a few grams there
really adds up!”

They continued on, where their way was impeded by several puddles. Heather
lifted her legs up and sailed gleefully through the water, outfit intact and
free of mud. Oddly, she was alone. She looked back and saw her friends, who had
come almost to a halt, negotiating their way around the puddles. “Do fenders
add weight too?” Heather asked. “Yes,” they said. “And we don’t really ride
around puddles anyway, so we never need them.”

After they got to the museum, they locked their bikes up. Broad daylight, to a
bike rack, they with cable locks and Heather with a U-lock. When they returned,
an employee was wheeling Dan’s bike away from the rack, it’s cable lock cut and
dangling uselessly from the frame. “Hey, that’s my bike!” Dan called to the
employee. The employee had noticed the cable was cut, and being rather astute,
she chose to take the bike to safety and was heading inside with it. Relieved,
Dan took possession of his bike, which was about when Christine noticed that
hers was nowhere in sight. Poor Christine was not so lucky that day. Some dirty
rotten thief made off with her new bike, and even if it is The Most
Disappointing Bike, (and not TBBITW) it’s tragic to lose it. There is something
raw and personal about having something stolen from you. My hopeful mind
prompts me that this is the opportunity to slide in a good word for Rivendell,
now that Christine is in the market for a new bike. I should get her phone
number. It’s probably too soon….yeah, it’s definitely too soon.

As we laughed about poor Christine and Dan (though NOT about the stolen bike),
Heather marveled, “I have never ridden with anyone who had a race bike. I just
can’t fathom having a bike that does only one thing. I mean, why? They can’t
even wear normal clothes! They are in pain every time they mount those skimpy
saddles and for what? Are we in the Tour de Minnesota? Are we saving a whole 30
seconds by leaving off our fenders and wearing the clickety-clacks??? And why
the rush? I would never bike if that's what I had to go through.”

Of course we’ve all read Just Ride, and we’re got Rivendells because we
subscribe to these theories, but it was rejuvenating to see the velosophy
worked out in real life. Heather's husband (also a recent victim of bike theft)
had his first real Rivendell, a 59 Clem L delivered to their local bike shop
for assembly today. He wasn’t a Rivendell fan either, but they were the lone
makers of a step-through in his size, so he gave them the money. I think they
are going to appreciate it even more after this.

Now that you've let me have this one indulgence, please forgive me and have a
lovely evening.

Leah
Owner of The Best Bike In the World (TBBITW)