We sort of discussed this earlier in the thread.  Grant stated that there was
some key thing that they needed to pull off, and we postulated that it might be
a new rim. Garth noted that such 45mm rim brake rims have existed for a long
time in 26 (snowcat) and 29 (kris holm) but not yet 650b.

As for whether rivendell "does things for the sake of being different," this
might be a particularly appropriate podcast to listen to.

There's also a link on the blahg to a video about the rim extrusion process.
Ask youself why?  I haven't watched it yet, but I know a new rim profile is
easier to bring to life than many of the other innovations that Rivendell is
single handedly responsible for, including modern-era 650b rims and tires,
ultra-long reach caliper brakes, keeping headbadge art and lug manufacturers
relevant, extra-long chainstay stock, to name a few.