Even though many of the guesses are 75 percent accurate, this bike is bound
to disappoint throngs, but not by intent. There is already tons of variety
in mtn bikes. More than a dozen categories--jumpers, pumpers, xc, dh,
hardtails, fat, plus, e, enduro... No matter what we do, there's going to
be some overlap, and it's going to be both too much and not enough,
depending. There will be some THINGS that it doesn't excel at, but it's
more the rider than the bike, anyway--right?
The record descent of Repack Road (fire trail in Marin County on which 95
percent of the original mtn bike development took place in the late '70s)
is 4:22 for all 2 miles and 1,300 feet of it. In late '76 Gary Fisher did
that on a modified paperboy bike with a coaster brake. About 8 years
later,  (sorry for the history!) daredevil downhiller Jimmy Deaton, rode it
on a then-SOA bike in 4:34.
Those are the facts that feed the notion that the measure of a bike and a
rider is speed, which I think is way off.  When you design for extreme
speeds or terrain or surfaces (sand, snow, boulders...) you get an extreme
bike that psychologizes normal riders into thinking they're worse for being
normal and let's them buy their way into the glorified extreme world and
look ready for action on the way back from Trader Joe's.

The plan with the new bike—which may not even happen—is that it's a
sufficient platform and maybe no more, for lots of non-extreme trail
riding, and it's sufficiently different than our other bikes to be barely
justifiable.