You do have to have some glucose in an electrolyte/rehydration solution.
It's about the cellular level of respiration and moving electrolytes across
membranes.

Potassium is normally intracellular, sodium extracellular. By use of
energy, these ions are kept on opposite sides of a cell's outer membrane to
provide a functional potential.

Potassium is transported through the sodium/potassium "pumps" of cellular
membranes, into the cells, better in the presence of insulin. Production of
insulin by the Islet of Langerhans cells of the pancreas occurs in response
to the presence of glucose in the blood stream, as detected and responded
to with insulin released into the blood stream.

Your electrolyte balances will remain in dyscrasia despite specific oral
supplementations if they are without the crutch of some sugar to trigger
increased production of insulin. Google recipes on pickling and you'll see
vinegar salt and sugar which will reinforce your comprehension of why
pickle juice is a recommendation for rehydration or electrolyte
replenishment.

Sorry, droning. I just worked six 13 hour days in a row.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh