I'm not at my desk where I have all the data at my fingertips, but I'm pretty
sure 8 speed shimano shifters pull the same amount of cable per click as 7
speed.  The 80s 7 speed thumb shifters are readily available on ebay, have a
friction option, and feature a "hidden 8th position", where a screw hole forms
another detent.  Use the travel limit screw on the derailleur to keep it from
moving further than that.

I thought there were 8 speed versons too and you might find some if you look
hard enough.

Suntour thumbies were better made and work well enough.

Finally, you can use shimano bar end shifters on paul thumbie mounts, but both
of those may only be available in the used market at this point.