Lum,

I think you are worrying too much about the risks associated with both
fenders and racks. Properly used and mounted both present very minor risks.

That said, presuming you want to preserve/pamper your Riv's frame and
parts, I would definitely not ride it on salty roads, dry or wet --
although dry is better than wet.

I've not ridden my Rivs in salt, but regularly do with my winter commuter
(a pedestrian MTB) -- and corrosion happens, even with regular cleaning. It
is my experience that there is usually some moisture somewhere even on
"dry" winter roads (occasional runoff from shady spots melting, etc.) if
they've been salted recently enough for the salt to still be on the
pavement.

Julia Westerhout
Bloomington, Il