If you point the light down about 6-8 feet ahead of the bike, and don't go
over 800 or so lumens a symmetrical beam isn't as dramatic as you make it
sound. It's totally fine for the road. However, like most things, if it's
used improperly, and many people do use bike lights improperly, it can be
inconsiderate and borderline dangerous.