On Mar 7, 2010, at 10:12 AM, PATRICK MOORE wrote:

One thing is undeniable: there was no such widespread scuttlebutt about steel, titanium or aluminum forks and frames breaking; for whatever reason, the volume rather signifcantly increased only when carbon fiber became common in the bike industry.

Well, there was the Lambert/Viscount "fork of death" which was a cast aluminum one piece fork with a steel steerer tube pressed into the fork "crown." These were known to separate and eject the rider to the pavement with alacrity. I worked in a shop that sold Viscounts (and from where I bought mine, which I rode for 8 years until the BB spindle snapped, dumping me onto the road). And there are a lot of other broken bike buts out there- including some whole galleries of the things on the interwebs. Somre here:

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/

On a lighter note: it is also reassuring that one can now become a trained and certified Rivendellian in just five years:

Indeed, there was a time when it might take decades for someone to transform from a new cyclist to a Rivendell-riding fuddy-duddy, but now the process only takes about five years.

I seemed to have turned into one of those before Rivendell came along. Back in the BOB days when I saw my first Gazette, I thought "geez, I recognize this kind of stuff. It's what I use!" I raced from 1992-2000 and used modern stuff but my heart was never really in it. As soon as I stopped racing it was back to friction downtube shifters and fattish tires. Except for aero levers and clipless pedals- two things I do like better.