On Mar 6, 9:41 am, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2010, at 10:22 AM, bfd wrote:
>
> > I know many here will disagree with me, but I'm tired of Grant's
> > constant carbon bashing. What he doesn't mention is that carbon frames
> > can be repaired. Craig Calfee repairs carbon fiber frames and does a
> > fantastic job.
>
> Unfortunately many carbon repairs fall into the scenario of shutting
> the barn doors after the horse is gone.  Since the first inkling of a
> carbon failure is often catastrophic, your frame or fork might be
> repairable but you may be preoccupied with recovering from your
> injuries when your steerer tube snapped or the head tube parted
> company with the rest of the frame.
>
> E.g.,http://www.bustedcarbon.com/
>
> Steel just does not fail in this manner unless you ignore obvious
> warning signs for a very long time. You could run over a steel bike
> wiith a cement mixer and it would fare better than many of the items
> on that blog have fared in pretty normal accidents.  Grant's pointing
> out the problems with carbon doesn't strike me as desperate, it
> strikes me as concerned about people's safety.

Well, I don't mean to play devil's advocate-actually, I do, Tim, but
when was the last time any of us actually did a pre-ride inspection
similar to a pre-flight walk around a pilot of a light aircraft does?
Have we checked for cracks, damage or other indicator of ill health in
our bikes? I haven't recently and I'll bet many of us are as
delinquent.
Phil Brown