Here's a story on the development of Tom Ritchey's early mountain bikes
<http://www.handbuiltbicyclenews.com/c23-bicycles/209-the-genesis-of-the-mountain-bike-according-to-tom-ritchey>,

which includes his early flirtations with 650b.

The article references Ritchey's conversations with Brandt regarding
optimal wheel size:

Brandt’s understanding of physics as an engineer meant that he encouraged
> Ritchey to use the largest diameter wheel he could manage, to embrace the
> inherent efficiencies of a larger wheel. Ritchey settled on the 650b, which
> represented a compromise between the 700c wheel - fine for taller riders
> but hard to fit on smaller off-road bikes - and the 26” wheel, which at the
> time was heavy and much less efficient.

So there's a tangential reference to both Brandt and 650b. No idea if Jobst
considered the idea of 650b for road and mixed terrain applications, but he
was no doubt at least aware of their existence. Maybe 700c just made more
sense to him because it was the larger wheel.

I don't pretend to understand the "inherent efficiencies" he's talking
about, but I also didn't study engineering at Stanford, nor have I
conquered the Alps on 22mm sew-ups.

Jeff Hagedorn
Los Angeles, CA USA