I've been a Bridgestone/Grant/Riv/ admirer since back in the day, but I am most
enamored of the late eras, and the Clementine. This is mainly because I always
felt I could get to 90-95 percent of the ride quality of a Rivendell by
refurbishing older vintage bicycles.

But the Clementine, with its super long wheelbase, step through design and
sporty yet sturdy construction and upright riding position put it in a category
of its own.

What I like best about it is that it can be ridden and appreciated by just
about anyone from bicycle aficionados to complete novices. Designing something
to be an heirloom that is useful and comfortable is nowadays a revolutionary
act.

Another aspect of the Clems is the price point; these are the first Rivendells
that could also potentially compete with older vintage rebuilds on price, as
well as lower priced knock-offs.

So the Clems combine a culmination of the designer's evolving approach to
bicycles to create a machine that many more would enjoy riding with a cost that
allows many more to afford one--about as egalitarian as one could hope to get
in today's bicycle industry.

I see the Clementine as Riv's proto bike of our times and everything from here
on out will be (wonderful) variations on a theme.