I saw Grant's Brookstones at a local Outdoor shop when they were new, and
noticed how smart they were, but I couldn't afford them. I was assembling
my bikes from used parts!
I first saw Rivendell bikes on the Internet, read Grant's blog about the
trials of starting up Rivendell. I remember wandering the Sierra when
people were packing Rivendell packs, which Grant is said to have named his
company after. I carried a Kelty frame pack.
The first Rivendell bike I saw in person was at a Seattle Bike Show in
1997. One beautiful bike, but nothing else, just a lonely guy sitting there
next to it (not Grant). I was too shy to sit down and say hello.
I got a used green Quickbeam and then got into Baggins bags and bike
camping and How to Ride Happy. That's my era; I am not paleo, still
vegequarium (some seafood now and then, otherwise good plants).
Currently, the Quickbeam is mostly stock parts but overdressed (With a 9
speed SRAM I-9 planetary gear rear hub, Stainless Steel Berthoud fenders,
racks, etc. It’s very comfortable, functional, and intrepid.
I want to try a front loading, wider tired, lighter, more flexy, Rando
Gravel bike someday, with fenders, along Bicycle Quarterly style lines, but
if I win the lottery, I could ride a newer Rivendell.
It really is the best time to be a cyclist, or a photographer!

My other bikes are a 1997 Cannondale F-1000 converted to city bike, and a
1970 Gitane 531DB road bike with old Simplex and Campangnolo bits. And a
1980s Gary Fisher Tandem! Splatter Paint!

Bill Gibson
Tempe, Arizona, USA
My Photographs <https://billbgibson.myportfolio.com/> :
https://billbgibson.myportfolio.com/ and on Behance: