I've ridden much of the route and enjoyed it.  June-July makes me slightly
nervous about summer traffic, but we work with what we have available.
Here are some fast thoughts, headed in the southerly direction:

- maybe plan a detour at the Lost Coast at Ferndale, a little bit south of
Eureka/Arcata.  2 or even 3 day detour well off the beaten path.  Research
it first -- there were no services when I was there, except for basic
campgrounds.  As an aside, in case you don't know it, you can find route
elevation gain on mapmyride.com.  IMO this is a very special detour, and
one which very few know to do.

- maybe plan a rest day at Avenue of the Giants following the Lost Coast.

- the road gets nasty narrow just south of Avenue of the Giants, with
trucks.  Herd your family well.

- in Fort Bragg, once you cross the river, turn down to the river and
follow it until you come to Dolphin Isle Marina, get a burger in the sun.

- Mendocino would be a nice rest day

- there's another possible detour, inland this time, at  Sea Ranch to
Annapolis then back out to Stewarts Point (or for a more challenging day,
head south on Tin Barn Road from Annapolis Road).  Lots of vertical,
followed by more vertical, but favorite roads of mineā€¦  consider the
suggestion with suspicion.  But they're very pretty roads.

- at Bodega Bay you will be about ten miles from my house if you need
anything.  Unfortunately, the house may be blown up for remodeling, and I
may not be able to offer accommodations.

- I'm sure you are aware of SP Taylor campground in Marin, beloved of
Rivvers.  I don't prefer that route, because I like to go south from Point
Reyes and then go over Bolinas-Fairfax Road and then Mt. Tam, but that
would be ambitious for a family.  There's a commercial alternative to SP
Taylor, just south of Point Reyes Station, much less pretty but useful if
Taylor is full or if you want to go south on 1 instead inland toward SP
Taylor.

- the youth hostel in San Francisco is in a nice location not too far from
the Golden Gate Bridge.

- to keep in your back pocket, if things blow up, there's an overnight bus
from SF to LA. https://www.ridecabin.com

- if you're a Steinbeck fan, stop by the museum in Salinas.  They have
Rocinante!

- it occurs to me that you could leapfrog LA by catching a train in Santa
Barbara.  There are much worse ideas.  I would not consider it cheating.

Peter
Sebastopol CA