We have an early '80s Trek 613 in the collection. It's a relaxed frame road
bike. It has regular, not oversized, Renolds 531 tubes and was built in the
USA. In short:  a light tubeset, fully lugged. In many respects I think it
is like the Rodeo design-wise. It is the daily rider for one of my sons.

It came to us with a 700c x 28mm wheel/tire setup. It had room for 36mm
tires and we moved to that spec, before wider tires became fashionable. The
36 mm tires simply work better. The bike definitely planes. I dislike that
term, but that is the descriptor word used here. I am skeptical that it is
because of frame flex. I think planing is a consequence of having the
correct rotating mass from your wheel set. I theorize that rotating mass
can be tuned for rider weight and rider position on frame. The bike was
decent with the 28s, but it feels more "energetic" with 36s. More rotating
mass feels like less pedal input is needed to maintain speed. I recently
put 28s back on the bike while we upgraded to a dynamo wheel. The
difference was noticable, and not better. For my son tire width is not a
cush/comfort/gravel issue, It is a handling and ride feel issue. We are
back to the 36s with a front dynamo.

I suggest you consider 36s or similar for the Rodeo. I think the bike will
ride better.

Will