On 11/27/18 11:06 PM, Lynne wrote:

I'm especially impressed by Steve P's Master Tetris skills. Sadly, I'm not at that level, nor do I have the bike tools to make that happen.

Not /my/ skills; that was, I believe, a photo of JP Weigle's CdM bike I posted.  It's packaged in the Alps style of Rinko, packaging for transport on trains in Japan, which has been documented in detail in the pages of Bicycle Quarterly.  A few special parts (slotted cable stops, for example) are required, mainly in aid of removing the fork, but the basic idea of disassembly and packing so as to not damage the bike can be applied to any bike and will rather dramatically reduce the space required for transport.

If you don't remove the fork, no tools are required other than those needed to remove the pedals (a pedal wrench or appropriately sized Allen key) and, if so equipped, to remove the fender.  The CdM bike has a split fender to facilitate removal, but the Grand Bois EZRinko style of packing (that doesn't remove the fork) relies on removing both fenders entirely.  I'm guessing if it's a Riv most likely it's equipped with plastic fenders, which can easily be removed with nothing more than 5 and 6 mm Allen keys.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia