Hey Ant! I’m envious because DV is one if my favorite places in earth and my
wife and I have backpacked in there quite a lot. We always do the vegas rental
car method too.

You should be conservative as to where you drive the car, always but even more
so with the shutdown. When the road signs say 4x4 only, you should really take
heed, or carefuy drive only a a mile or two in if that gets you where you wanna
be. You wont get a cell signal in there and flats are common. The rangers, if
any are working, will have the latest on road conditions. Sign in at the
visitor center if you plan to go into the back country and tell a friend at
home your plans... sorry if you already know this.

With the shutdown services are limited. Check social media and call the visitor
center at furnace creek—I think that is being kept open by funding from a
private foundation.

A good resource is Steve Hall’s website www.panamintcity.com ... check his
pages on death valley basics and read up on safety and park regulations (no
fires, etc)... very important to do your research for route planning too if
youre going deep into the back country. Steve uses an interesting technique
using a mix of google earth and gps, and has hiked hundreds of canyons, many of
which are seldom visited. He posts detailed trip reports with photos and maps
that are great reference if you decide to mimic a route.

He’ll also tell you to get Michael Diginnet’s book, Hiking Death Valley, which
I can confirm is worth every penny. Its one of those epic labors of love.

DV is a beautiful place. So huge and expansive, otherworldly, truly wild. Be
safe and I hope you have a great time!! Carry lots of water! I hope you post
pics when you’re back.

And feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Bob B.
Brooklyn NY