The AAoP provides generally helpful guidelines, but there are many
exceptions where good parental judgment is appropriate. Every family
is different.

The AAoP recommendation does seem to stem from the risk of the rider
losing control of the bike and tipping.  I bet most people here are
fairly confident in their bike handling abilities in tricky
situations, so maybe that concern carries less weight with this
crowd.  I don't know.  Having been hit by a car from behind, I find
all the more reason to avoid a trailer.  I'd rather have my daughter
on the bike with me in a seat, out of traffic and with only two wheels
to think about in an emergency situation.

That said, you have to go with whatever you are comfortable with.