Harold,

I can ditto most of what Esteban says - we've enjoyed riding with our
Bobike mini
now for about 2.5 years. Was lucky to score an actual, recent Dutch
bike (albeit of the Euro big-box store varietal) that someone had
brought over in a move. Included, and the primary draw, were both
front and rear Bobike seats - they are (seemingly) well-made and
sturdy/safe.

My daughter was first aboard, shortly after she turned 1. Now her
brother uses it, starting also at about the same age. Unfortunately it
seems as though I did not get the mini-childs, as they are both are
the giants among than their peers. So, even though my "little guy" is
only a little past 1 1/2 now, he's almost talling-out of the Bobike
mini (my daughter on the other hand has been quickly learning the
trail-a-bike starting about 3).

And now we have us the "school bike", as she calls it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66275...@n00/4446170054

OTOH, for just a short while, I had her on the back in the Bobike Maxi
(much like a regular "rear" seat except it does not require a rack) -
my daughter's review was it was "too bouncy" and she was less of a
fan.

Re: bars/stem, yes the Bobike needs something with a bit more height
than a road stem. I'm using a bit of a riser with the 'stache bars,
these also fit rather well with the knees of my passengers and give me
good, strong control over the vehicle. I believe too that the Trek is
a low-trail beast, which seems to also ride well with the loaded
steering.

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA