Greetings Patrick and everyone, I'm not as much of a coffee enthusiast as
many here, but I'll offer my experiences and observations for what they're
worth.
Grinders:  I've been using a Krups $50-$60 burr grinder for many years.
Got the original one from Bloomingdales, that one was replaced under
warranty several years into service and the current one is still going
strong.  The upper burr is replaceable for a reasonable price.  I like it
that I can start the grind, then leave it on the counter to change filters,
pour water, etc.  Now I know it's not good for super fine grinding, for
espresso.  That's fine with me.  Those grinders seem to cost many times as
more.  When i thought mine was on the blink a while back (it wasn't), I
found a similar one at Target for about $30.  Not sure what the differences
were between my old one and this new generation.
Storing:  I usually buy 2 lb. bags of beans at Costco or Safeway.  I put
about a pound's worth, blended, into a semi-airtight container on the
counter and store the bags in the basement, rolled closed and rubber-banded
(no freezing).  Seems to work fine and still make good coffee, Deacon's and
others' comments on freshness duly noted.
Coffee making:  Water temp is important.  If this has already been brought
up in the thread, I apologize.  I finally splurged and treated myself to a
Technivorm drip coffee maker.  Had wanted one for years.  It brews to the
proper temp, I believe around 205 degree F.  I also make pourovers for
myself regularly, using a $3 Melitta cone holder.  (The Technivorm is fun
to watch.)  Cheers and Happy St Patrick's Day to all, especially the
Patricks!