I had/have (still packing it for sale) a 51cm Joe. I got the Small GBW
prototype and adjusted it into "commuter mode" recently. Key build
differences with the Joe vs GBW: 55cm Albas with a 9cm Nitto Technomic stem
vs 710mm Jones Loop with a 30mm Spank stem; 2.0" Marathon Supremes on VO
Diagonales vs 2.35" G-One Speeds on Velocity Cliffhangers; and Sugino XD600
cranks vs Silver cranks. Everything else is roughly the same, and I ride
the same urban, all pavement route with the same load to work.

The one sentence summary on the GBW: there's no mistaking it's a mountain
bike. It may have a rack and notionally street tires, but the ride rhymes
with all the mountain bikes I've owned. I read all of that Mongolian riding
stuff that Grant wrote about and thought, yeah, sure, Grant, whatever,
you're the crazy man riding into chest deep pools of water in your
Ethiopian shoes, but after riding the GBW I kinda get what he's saying.

I also like the swoopy top tube since I can mount the bike without having
to swing my leg over the seat and standover is one less thing to worry
about when the terrain gets uneven or when tackling a challenging part of a
trail.

For me, I picked the GBW over the Joe because I wanted a mountain bike that
I could commute with during the week, and I like the ride of fat tires. The
GBW will likely outshine the Joe on single track while lightly loaded,
while the Joe would outperform the GBW when hauling a load or pounding out
miles on maintained gravel roads.

--Ed C.