IMHO and this is coming from the way I know I ride... the Cliffhangers are
not a good rim for a tire in the 2.8 inch range. I have Cliffhangers on my
Appaloosa running 57mm G Ones and I just don't see how a 2.8 would ride
well off road (it would be terribly balloon like), especially if you are
thinking about putting knobbies on it...you know, for actual dirt riding. I
like the Cliffhanger for the Appaloosa and have it setup tubeless...it's a
great setup with the 57mm G ones.

I have a  new Trek Remedy 9.8 that is running 27+ tires, 2.6 inch stock
tires on 30mm rims and the setup works very well. I think 30mm or above is
the width you want to start looking at for a tire that is 2.8 in width. The
thing is that with a wider tire you will be riding a lower air pressure,
and if you have it ballooned out you really are risking folding the tire
when you hit a turn at speed. Now, this is totally dependent on how you
ride and what, if any, trails you are going to ride. For me, if the
cliffhanger is the widest rim I got, I'm going to stick with a tire in the
2.2 to 2.4inch width and I think the Gus will probably handle pretty great
with those size tires.

Can owners comment on the wider tires with the cliffhanger rims and v brake
arms?  Does the roundness of the tire and having a further reach for the
brake pad to contact the rim seem to interfere at all with the v brake
arms?

- Ryan (who thinks disc brakes like the Paul Klampers are a lot better than
rim brakes ;) )